Monday, February 14, 2011

Moroccan Couscous

Hello blog,

For Valentine's day, I'm giving you a wonderful present: quite possibly my quickest and easiest recipe that is still extremely healthy and tasty! Usually you have to compromise on at least one of those 4 qualities; this recipe has it all. My readers, I present to you Moroccan Couscous.

I modified this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Culinary in the Desert. Joe, you are amazing!

What you need:

14.5 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (if you can't find fire-roasted... try harder... or use diced with garlic)
15 ounce can low sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chicken broth... see notes below
4 teaspoons red curry paste (look for it in the Asian part of the grocery store)
"3 shakes" HOT habanero powder... less or more as you like it
10 ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed - I like cauliflower
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 1/4 cup chicken broth (with the chicken broth above, you should have exactly 1 can's worth)
1 cup whole wheat couscous
salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 ounces or MORE goat cheese. the more the better :)

In a large pot, stir together tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, curry paste, habanero powder and vegetables - bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer just until the vegetables have warmed through. Stir in lime juice.

Make the couscous according to directions. I usually make mine in the microwave by boiling the 1.25 cups broth, putting in the 1 cup WW couscous, cover with a plate for 5 minutes.

Divide couscous between serving plates and evenly spoon the warmed vegetable mixture over the top. Sprinkle each with cheese to serve. The goat cheese adds wonderful tangy, creamy, and cooling qualities. The original recipe called for feta; I'm sticking with the goat cheese!

Makes 4 generous servings! In less than 10 minutes :) I keep all of the ingredients of this recipe on hand when a quick dinner is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment