Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Homemade Oatmeal Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Hello, readers!

Today is leftover day - I had leftover Butter Chicken (which I mixed with some leftover Brussels sprouts... it worked!) for lunch. I forgot to mention yesterday that in the last 5 minutes of cooking the butter chicken I added in about half pound of baby organic spinach (from Costco... once again, I love Costco)!

Tonight we're probably going to be having some form of the "Dagwood" sandwich again. However, we're out of bread. I was about to stop by the store then I realized I'm being a lazy butt and I need to get to making bread again. :)

This readers, is my friend, the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme!


My awesome Uncle got me this for Christmas last year. I picked it out from reviews on Amazon.com. I have not been disappointed!... well actually, I was kind of disappointed with the dull recipes that came with the instruction guide (except that you can apparently make meatloaf in it... can't say I've tried that). For example: the "whole wheat" bread recipe they included only contained a bit of whole wheat and called for dried milk powder. Not exactly what I wanted. So anyway I went out searching for some of my own :)

My recipe is adapted from the one I found here:

Homemade Oatmeal Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup water, boiling
  • 2 tablespoons butter (I use olive oil)
  • sprinkling of salt
  • 1/4 cup honey or Agave nectar (a low glycemic sweetener - get it at a natural health food store - or COSTCO!)
  • 1/2 cup oats, old-fashioned
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur flour)
  • 2 teaspoons yeast, sprinkled over flour

Preparation:

Put oats in the bread pan; pour boiling water over the oats. When oats have cooled but are still a bit warm, add remaining ingredients according to bread machine manufacturer's manual. For my bread machine, I add in everything but the flour and salt. Layer the flour on top of the other ingredients; then make a "well" to put the yeast in. Bake on light crust "quick" setting.

My bread is baking right now and smelling delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment