Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chocolate banana breakfast shake


Hello!! Sorry I have been a neglectful blogger!

This post is for my friend Jayme. She has been bugging me to update on my breakfast shake!

I have been loving Starbuck's chocolate banana shake. It has protein and fiber powder and keeps me full for a long time. When I was commuting 2 hours to work once a week, this was my go-to breakfast. It did make quite a hole in the pocketbook though.

So, I went on to try to find a way to make it for myself...

The most important ingredient, in my opinion, is a good protein powder. Being in the dialysis business, you come across a LOT of protein powders, and this one is my favorite: Publix's Greenwise Chocolate Whey Protein Powder. It is sweetened with all-natural Stevia and tastes soooo good. (The vanilla... not so much in my opinion).

Now, the recipe (makes shakes for 2):

1 cup milk
2 bananas (I like "sugar spot" bananas, but if you like starchy ones that works too)
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
2 tablespoons cold milled flaxseed (for fiber and Omega 3's - I get mine at Costco)
enough ice to fill 1 and a half serving glasses (tall "milkshake" glasses)

Put everything in the blender. Blend. Pour into glasses. Enjoy :)

You will have to experiment with how much ice you like!

If you want to go super "health nut", you can toss in a few handfulls of fresh spinach before blending. Believe it or not, you won't be able to taste it - it'll just make the shake turn green. Hence the name "Green Monster" from my good friend Carrie!


No comments:

Post a Comment