While we graduated from the "blue box" several years ago, we have been using the Annie's or Hodgson Mill boxes for a quick dinner lately. However... no more!
The following is based on a recipe I found from Southern Living. The original recipe called for a whole extra cup of cheese to be put on top; I decided if this is going to be our usual that we should probably reserve that for special occasions.
This made 4 hearty servings. I like to make it in a pie plate :)
- 1 (8-oz.) package elbow macaroni - I used whole wheat organic shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk ---> EDIT: Because I use lower fat cheese I cut back to 1 and 1/2 cups milk for a thicker roux - PERFECT!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 oz (about 1/2 block) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded - I used Cracker Barrel brand cheddar with 2% milk
- 1. Boil noodles according to package directions (or a little less if you like it a little more al dente). Drain and keep warm.
- 2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, black pepper, shredded cheese, and cooked pasta.
- 3. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish (or pie pan!)
- 4. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving