Monday, January 3, 2011

Hello 2011!

Hello my blog followers,

Well, it's a new year. Mine got off to a pretty rough stuff - screaming neighbors at 3 am, car problems, dog sitting (which really throws a wrench in my daily plans), starting a new class with about double the amount of regular students. I haven't been too good healthwise either, it's only the 3rd day and already I've gone out to eat 4 times, had fried Mexican food, and ice cream. I have also been feeling a cold coming on so I've been using that as an excuse not to exercise. Ugh!

The good news is that I did not gain one pound over the holiday season :) Dietitian skillz FTW.

Also, in my defense, two of those four going-out-to-eat times were to get breakfast at Bruegger's bagels. The whole wheat bagel has 310 calories, 7 grams fiber, 13 grams protein, no artificial perservatives/flavors/crap. I have them put the light cream cheese on top and scrape at least half of it off (about 50 extra calories). It is tasty and keeps me full til lunch :) And it's only like $2.

Ah, the famous New Year's Resolutions. I told my husband that mine would be to "EAT MORE!.... vegetables." More, and more variety. I tend to get in kind of a rut... broccoli with lunch/dinner, spinach in soup/salads, carrots to snack on and in stews/soups. Green beans to snack on. I'm terrified that sometimes I honestly only get 1-2 servings of veggies a day... eek! So this is my area for improvement in the new year.

And...
I follow a former college classmate's blog and her goal for 2011 is to run 1,000 miles. She is an experienced marathoner. To be honest, I have no desire to be a marathoner, or even really run (my body responds, feels, and looks better when I briskly walk instead of run).

So, I believe my goal for this year will be to walk 500 miles. That's about 1.7 miles a day - I feel that is very realistic. This would meet my goal of walking 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week that I wasn't able to accomplish this year. This walking would only be counted outside of work/errands (where I get plenty of walking). If I can get more, yay!... although I am already behind and it's the 3rd. I also need to get back in the habit of incorporating strength training and stretches. One thing at a time!!






1 comment: